How do I apply for an OTTWA Passport for my horse?

To apply for an OTTWA Passport, simply read and follow the step-by-step guide here, before submitting an application here. If you have any questions about the process, or experience issues lodging the application, please contact the OTTWA team via

How can I apply if I don’t know my horse’s details?

If you do not know the racing name, microchip number or freeze brand of your horse, or cannot locate it in the “Find Horse” list, you can submit a Horse ID Request Form. This form is linked underneath the search options on the “Find Horse” page. When submitting this form you will be asked for pictures of your horse’s brands and for identifying information such as gender, colour and age (approximate if exact date not known).

How do I know the status of my application?

You will receive an email confirming that your application has been lodged successfully, and a separate email indicating whether your application has been approved, or if further information is required, once the application has been processed.

What should I do if I sell my horse?

You should always ensure that the details of the horses in your account are current. If you sell your horse you can transfer ownership of the horse through the OTTWA Passport system. This first step to this is navigating to the horse’s profile and clicking “Send Transfer Invitation”. You will need details of the new owner including their email address. Once you’ve completed the form and clicked “Send Invitation” an email with your invitation will be sent to the new owner. They can then accept your invitation and the horse’s Passport will be transferred into their account. If they do not respond 30 days or don’t accept the invitation you will be sent an email notification and the horse will remain under your account.

What if I buy a horse that already has a Passport?

You can request to transfer the ownership from the current holder of your horse’s Passport. First search for your horse on the “Find New Horse” page and then click “Submit Claim Request”. You can then Send Request. An email notification will be sent to the current caretaker of the horse’s Passport inviting them to accept your request. Once the previous owner has accepted the horse will appear in your account under “My Horses”.

What do I do if I have owned a retired racehorse that has passed, or my horse passes?

There is an option to mark your horse as having passed both during your initial application for you horse, and when editing your horse’s information once the application has been approved. You also have the option to display your horse on the In Memory page if you wish.